Thursday, August 25, 2005

It is only $1.99, after all...

I got my knit picks package in the mail, yesterday. I am a bit disappointed with the pattern, but $1.99 is easily half the price of a lot of patterns, so I really shouldn't complain. It is one piece of double sided paper. The chart of the whole vest is on the back. On the front it refers to the chart on the back, but says "Red lines on the chart..." I can see where the mean, but the must have copied an original that had red lines onto a black-and-white copier, because they are most definitely NOT red! They have an abbreviations area on the bottom of the back that they must use for all the patterns they have or anticipate ever having. Most do not apply to my particular pattern. The front has a pic of the vest in color and a KnitPicks icon in color and the front of the paper is kinda slick. Like I said, it is only $1.99. They should make them downloadable for $1.99 and this quality. I am also a bit intimidated by this pattern. I have to steek. I want to know how to steek. Now I have to steek. SCARY!!!

I got up to about the elbow in my Aran. Then I realized that the pattern directions weren't clear. I have to increase two stitches everytime I increase. It didn't say that, and I only increased one stitch. I had to pull out all the way to the cuff. It hurt a bit. Now, I am up to 1/2 way through the second repeat. Oh, well.

I forgot to mention a couple of things. First, at the swap, I got a bag of cotton yarn. I thought it would be good for quick washcloths. I can make them for the baby. They will be easy when I am in the hospital or after the baby comes home and I can't do something complex. So, I decided I would start one to take to the movies on Sunday. I knit garter stitch on size 7 needles with some worsted weight cotton. Before I left the house, I cast on 40 stitches, and did the first row. When I left the movie, I had gotten all the way to 5 1/2 inches. I also caught a knot in the yarn, and since I didn't have scissors, I held it off to the side, and grabbed some more yarn from the ball to keep going. So, the washcloth is 8" wide and will be 8" high when I am finished. I wanted to make it garter stitch, because I wanted it truly mindless. No pattern, no rolling edges, nothing. Just knit. I will see if I like it as a washcloth in garter stitch or if it is too rough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,

I ordered a pattern from KnitPics as well and was disappointed in the quality of the pattern. I called them for help, and ended up thanking them for inviting me to a new yarn store, because after that experience I will definitely go elsewhere.

Kimberly said...

The thought of steeking still makes me nervous.

I have a year old UFO that requires steeking. Maybe once I see someone else do it I'll be more comfortable doing it myself.

Sorry about your Knit Picks Pattern. I usually have good luck with them but haven't ordered many individual patterns from them.

Elaine said...

I'm to nervous about cutting my knitting on purpose so I'm not sure I'll ever steek anything. And garter stitch washclothes make for a great exfoliator!